Tuesday, May 31, 2016

EME 2040 Digital Blog Post # C

Chapter 3 Concepts

First, I would like to say how insightful Chapter 3 was. I really enjoyed submerging myself into these concepts. Instructional Methods to Engage Students happened to be the first concept that caught my eye. As I was looking at the four methods (one-on-one tutoring, learning groups, inquiry learning, and metacognitive thinking) I noticed that each one really allowed the student to use their minds in different ways to expand their knowledge on a topic (Maloy, et al, 2013, pg. 52). I was really pleased with how the book described metacognitive thinking and inquiry learning. These two specific methods both show in my opinion a great way for students to take learning to the next level. I recently had the chance to observe in a 3rd grade classroom and the teacher really used these methods...great first-hand experience. When I was in there, they were working on a reading assignment. While doing the assignment the students really had to use their metacognitive thinking to reflect on their task at hand and evaluate their answers. Many students that I noticed used skills that were familiar in assessing the activity and solving the problem. Also, while many used the metacognitive thinking, there were some that used inquiry learning. These students went on to investigate and analyze the material that was presented. After that they asked questions not only to the teacher, but other classmates as well to make sure that they were fully understanding what the assignment was about. I was very impressed with their sportsmanship and the fact that the teacher allowed the children to think and complete work with and engage in a teaching method that best fit their learning style. I definitely feel like I will be taking these methods with me for my future class...such a great way to submerge yourself into learning.

Second, the concept of groupwork and collaboration intrigued me. I know from personal experience that this particular topic can be either really helpful and enhance learning or make you want to run and hide. I have been on both ends of the spectrum. However, I now feel like there are many wonderful attributes to using it within a classroom setting. Like the book says this is a very attentive and engaging task that promotes student learning (Maloy, et al, 2013, pg. 61). When I was in the third grade class, I noticed that the teacher did a lot of small group activities. The one activity that really engaged the students was a review basketball game. There were two groups and each group had to work together and come up with the correct answer for the question. After the groups deliberated quietly among each other they had to write the answer on a white board and show the teacher. If each group got the answer correct, they would choose a teammate to toss the ball into to the bin for a point. I was very impressed to see how well the students worked together and really grasped the topic they were learning. I do feel that having groups for collaboration is very beneficial for students learning. It is a great way to see who understands the subject and who needs more help. The children are able to bounce ideas off of each other and get a hands-on experience with working with other people. As you view the video below, you will see how groups can work together.




Lastly, the third concept that I would like to talk about is redefining creativity. Creativity is widely used among businesses, schools, entertainment, the arts, and so much more. However, within the schools we are noticing a little bit of a stand still. There are teachers who may over-look or not incorporate creative learning in the classroom. I do think that some teachers may not view certain materials, objects, or tasks as being expressive or creative. I say this, because of personal experiences. The pre-k class that I am currently working with, I have noticed more than once the teacher view riding a bike or making robots and houses out of blocks a non-creative activity. And personally I view those tasks as very interactive and expressive. The reason being is that even though these acts may not be about drawing or composing music, they are allowing the children to think about and manipulate different objects that they may not get to do at home. They are ultimately creating unique structures and learning how to ride and maneuver bikes in different ways. Creativity should never be taken away from a student…especially when it can be a huge part of their learning. You can see more ways on being creative through this link Creativity in the Classroom and by the wordle created below.


Overall, I enjoyed learning about these three topics and the fact that they all apply to teaching and learning. It is very important as a future educator to remember that learning does not need to be all about lectures. I for one know that I learn best by doing hands-on activities. Being creative, working with groups, and submerging/engaging yourself in different ways of problem solving are all ways on creating a very successful education for students.

References

Effective Collaboration. (2013, July 30). Retrieved from Youtube: www.youtube.com
Feinberg, J. (2014). Wordle. Retrieved from Wordle: www.wordle.net/create
Maloy, R. V.-O.-E. (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc. .
Provenzano, N. (2015, June 25). Creativity inthe Classroom. Retrieved from Edutopia: www.edutopia.org

No comments:

Post a Comment